As a leader in Mass Timber construction, Swinerton is looking forward to sharing insights on the growing market during the AIA conference “Experience Speaks: Mass Timber Design, Construction & Lessons Learned” Feb. 27 in Charlotte.
AIA Charlotte selected Swinerton’s Chris Evans and Erica Spiritos to present lessons learned from Swinerton’s successful Mass Timber projects during the event. Evans serves as Operations Manager for Swinerton in Portland, Oregon. Spiritos, also based in Portland, serves as Swinerton’s Mass Timber Preconstruction Manager. Other conference presenters include: David Impson and Bret Underwood with Britt, Peters and Associates, and Robert Metoyer with LK Architecture.
Swinerton’s Mass Timber experience includes:
- Recently completed the largest cross laminated timber (CLT) project in the country – First Tech Federal Credit Union in Hillsboro, Oregon.
- Completing a multi-building office complex outside of Denver – Viega headquarters in Broomfield, Colorado.
- Completed a CLT office project in Los Angeles, California.
- In Construction for the Washington County Event Center in Hillsboro, Oregon.
- In Preconstruction for the Hillsboro Community Center in Hillsboro, Oregon.
- In Construction for the Mass Timber work at the Beaverton Public Safety Center in Beaverton, Oregon.
- In Preconstruction for the Mass Timber work on the University of Oregon, Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact.
- In Preconstruction for a CLT Office Building in Kirkland, Washington.
Learn more about Swinerton’s Mass Timber experience here.
Growing demand for Mass Timber prompted the need for the conference. AIA Charlotte’s conference information states: “As mass timber has become increasingly sought after as a sustainable design solution, a greater understanding of both the material and system designs is required. This session will explore structural design aspects of modern mass timber buildings, including material design processes and resources, connection design and detailing with an emphasis on cost efficiency and constructability, system approaches to accommodating a variety of architectural programs and features, and incorporation of MEP elements in structural details.”
Southeast Mass Timber projects designed by conference presenters will be discussed during the event. The schedule also includes discussion on the benefits, material sourcing and cost considerations related to the use of Mass Timber in the southeast region of the country. Swinerton’s Southeast Division spans Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh.
The conference runs from 8:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. on Feb. 27 at the Triple C Barrel Room in Charlotte.