Swinerton Aviation Leads Speaking at the 2021 Design Build for Transportation/Aviation Conference
On April 23 at 2:30 P.M. EDT, Carrie Shaeffer, LEED AP, DBIA, VP, Director of Aviation and Jose Acosta, Project Executive/Aviation Market Leader will be speaking at the 2021 Design Build for Transportation/Aviation Conference. Their topic is “Design Build in the Time of Corona – The DB Journey at Long Beach Airport.” Check out the Long Beach Airport Project Page.
When planning Phase II of the Long Beach Airport Capital Improvement Project, the project team knew they needed to make some tough decisions in order to align the project scope with the budget. They did not know that the entire aviation industry would be rocked by a global pandemic. This panel will discuss:
• Why the Design-Build Method was Selected
• Benefits & Challenges during Procurement, Design, and Construction
• How the Design-Build Method Helped the Team Tackle Financial and Design Challenges Spurred by COVID-19.
- Demonstrate the benefits of the Design-Build method during the lifespan of the project.
- Analyze the challenges implementing the Design-Build method on an aviation project.
- Identify the unique challenges (financial and design related) brought on by the global pandemic.
- Discuss unconventional and creative ways the Design-Build team served the client when the entire aviation industry was hit hard by the pandemic.
- Jose Acosta, Project Executive/Aviation Market Leader
- John Mares AIA, DBIA, LEED AP BD+C, Associate Principal
- Ambi Thurai, Airport Engineering Officer
- Stephan Lum, Senior Civil Engineer
- Carrie Shaeffer, LEED AP, DBIA, VP, Director of Aviation
The conference is going virtual this year and features 4 tracks:
- Track 1 – Essential Facts & Principles for Project Success
- Track 2 – Optimizing Design-Build
- Track 3 — Planes, Trains, and . . . Design-Build
- Track 4 – Show Me the Money (and the Contract)