Description of Project
Building 603 is a contributing structure to the Presidio National Historic Landmark District (NHLD) constructed in 1939 as a commissary and storehouse on the Crissy Field waterfront. Following World War II, the army converted the warehouse into a photographic laboratory and audiovisual center.
The current Renovation is a part of the larger Presidio Tunnel Tops project. Once complete, building 603 will host youth and educational programs.
Seismic Renovation scope includes saw-cutting access holes into the buildings exterior stem wall in order to remove 4 feet of earth below the existing structure and expose the original concrete foundations. Once fully excavated, a new concrete foundation, shear walls, and brace framing was added to seismically upgrade the structure. The concrete mat slab was reinforced with epoxy-coated rebar in anticipation of the future rise in sea level of the adjacent San Francisco Bay.
All renovation work was performed underneath the existing building. This required approximately 4 feet of earth to be excavated and removed, leaving 3-5 ft of clearance between floor-to-ceiling to perform renovation work in.
- Saw-cut (3) openings inside of existing building to allow access and removal of 4 ft of earth.
- Poured a 3-inch thick concrete working slab to control water intrusion from adjacent SF Bay while seismic upgrade was performed.
- Drill and epoxy over 3,000 rebar dowels into existing pile caps and stem walls.
- Pour 650 yards of 3-4 ft thick concrete mat slab underneath building, reinforced with epoxy-coated rebar.