women in construction

Changing the Industry, One Floor at a Time at Perla

Women in Construction Series

The following Q&A was conducted by Perla on Broadway

The construction industry has long been a male-dominated field. Today, women represent just 9% of the overall workforce. Perla, along with our builder Swinerton is out to change that for good. In fact, Swinerton exceeds the industry norm with 15% of the workforce made up of women plus 24% of women in leadership positions. We had the pleasure of speaking with Perla Project Engineer, Michelle Maloyan to talk about her role, involvement with Perla and the future of women in the industry.

Q: How did you get into your line of work?
A:
I graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in urban studies. I have always been intrigued by real estate and construction and knew I wanted to work in the industry. I came across one of the best general contractors and was lucky enough to be hired by Swinerton to work on projects in the high-rise residential/hospitality market.

Q: How would you describe the construction industry in terms of female representation?
A:
I would say there is unequal representation between women and men, however there has been an influx of women in the construction industry over the last few years and believe it will continue to grow.

Q: How does Swinerton support women in the construction field?
A:
Swinerton gives equal opportunity to all genders and continuously promotes and supports women within the company. There is a huge focus on our culture and it is reflected in the workplace.

Q: What makes Perla so distinct from other DTLA properties?
A: It’s one of the only new construction condominiums in the historic district and is a great addition to Broadway and its beautification plan.

Q: What do you think owners are going to love about living here?
A: I think they will love that it is so accessible to great food, music, drinks and sporting events. There are so many options all within a short walking distance of Perla.

Q: What do you find most interesting about the architectural design of this building?
A: Even though I love Perla’s façade, which is aesthetically beyond comparison to any other high-rise in DTLA, my favorite feature is the distinctive atrium design with great architectural features and an array of amenities within this unique space.

Q: If living here, which amenity would you love most?
A: I would definitely take advantage of the amazing gym and the convenience of getting a workout in without leaving home. However, on the weekends, the wine room is where you would find me!

Thanks to a team of dedicated builders with passionate engineers like Michelle at the helm, Perla is shaping up to be a true representation of the power of women in construction.