Swinerton & National Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month, a global effort to help everyone stay protected whenever and however you connect. The overarching theme for the month is, ‘Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.’ and Swinerton is proud to be a champion and support this online safety and education initiative this October.
Swinerton is committed to preserving and protecting all forms of information and system assets used by our company and maintained on behalf of staff, business partners, customers, and suppliers. We recognized the evolving risks to assets and ongoing operations posed by cyber threats and attacks so in 2017, Swinerton’s Executive Leadership Team directed the establishment of a robust Information Security Program to specifically address these risks. Program milestones have included:
- Creation and staffing of a cyber security team in 2018 and appointment of a chief information security officer to be responsible for the enterprise vision, strategies, and programs to ensure information and technology assets are adequately protected.
- Establishment an Information Security Steering Committee comprised of leaders across the organization responsible for program oversight, alignment with corporate goals, and operational needs.
- Maturing of a culture of security awareness built on mandatory training to counter cyber incidents that typically begin with attacks targeting employees.
- Utilizing the NIST Cyber Security Framework to maintain standardized metrics to audit and measure the program’s development over time which in turn inform investment decisions in the areas of greatest concerns.
- Maintaining Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery, and Incident Management programs that ensure basic continuity of operations during an event and full recovery afterwards.
- Mutually beneficial collaborations with business partners, vendors, clients, and law enforcement. Further, Swinerton established a requirement that our subcontractors meet minimum information security standards.
As Swinerton’s Information Security Program continues developing our approaches to mitigating risks to our assets and ongoing operations, it is with deliberate intent that we refine how we protect our relationships, brand, and ability to conduct business now and for years to come.
Sr. Director of IT Operations, CISO
CIP Sr. Manager